our doctrinal statement
The full details of what we believe are spelt out in our doctrinal basis below.
God in his infinite love has always had the plan to remake this world and live with His people forever. To make this happen, God's son Jesus, lived amongst us. After a life of perfect faithfulness, He died in our place and took the punishment for our rejection of God and then came alive to reign over the world. Through hearing about Jesus the entire world is being offered forgiveness and peace with God, not by our own own goodness or moral effort, but by relying on Jesus' generous free gift to us. One day, at the final fulfillment of this plan, God's people will live forever with Him as his children.
We affirm the central truths of Christianity, as formulated in the AFES doctrinal basis:
- The divine inspiration and infallibility of Holy Scripture as originally given and its supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
- The unity of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit in the Godhead.
- The universal sinfulness and guilt of humanity since the fall, rendering men and women subject to God's wrath and condemnation.
- The conception of Jesus Christ by the Holy Spirit and his birth by the Virgin Mary.
- Redemption from the guilt, penalty and power of sin only though the sacrificial death, as our representative and substitute, of Jesus Christ, the incarnate Son of God.
- The bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
- The necessity of the work of the Holy Spirit to make the death of Christ effective in the individual sinner, granting him or her repentance towards God, and faith in Jesus Christ.
- The indwelling and work of the Holy Spirit in the believer.
- The expectation of the personal return of the Lord Jesus Christ.